Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Fujifilm X-T5 "Subject Detection Setting Airplane " to Capture Airplanes in the Skies

Taken in front of my church in north Austin around 6 pm.


Equipment: Fuji X-T5 with a Fuji 16-80mm lens.

I used the subject detection setting feature set for airplanes for the first time. This is found in the menu under Af/MF, Subject Detection Setting, then select airplane. You also can select Animal, Bird, Automobile, Motorcycle&Bike, or Train. I have added subject detection setting to the "Q" button (Quick Menu) for fast access.

The clouds over Austin today were amazing in any direction. So I left for work early, and threw my camera in the truck hoping to find a high point to snag some cloud pics. I pulled into the Hwy 183 walkover bridge at E51st. The next thing I heard a plane fly over my head! I was in the flight path of landing planes. What's better than sky pics? Sky pics with jets of course. Then I saw the Austin skyline. And finally, I thought the walkover bridge was worthy of a pic or two. But my favorite pic was when I got to church. Took that one standing in front of the church doors. No airplanes.

The moral of this story:
--BE PREPARED. Always bring your camera when you are driving. Keep a camera stand in the trunk.
--SLOW DOWN. Don't be in such a hurry all the time that you can't stop and take some pics.
--LOOK AROUND. You may have stopped for a pic of something that caught your attention, but there is often other photo opportunities hidden in the peripheral.
--POST REFLECTION: After your photo shoot always take the time to reflect on the event. Ask yourself, "What went right? What went wrong? And a really important question to improve your photography skills, "What would I do differently if I could redo it?" The primary purpose of this photography blog for me is to intentionally force me to think through the "Post Reflection" process and provide a place for me to record my findings. If others can benefit, all the better.

Now back to Airplane Pics.

The following pics are all in a sequence.  Flying towards me, then directly above me, and then flying away.  Using the object finder plane mode proved to be very effective. 

NEO:  I cropped a little and slightly enhanced contrast on these photos.  

Plane is coming towards me.  Sun is to my back/left.







Directly over my head.  Delta would be proud.


Now the plane is moving away from me.
The sun is to my front/right. Light source and location make all the difference. 






Skyline Downtown Austin, Texas

Skyline Downtown Austin, Texas



No comments:

Post a Comment

BIG BOY4014 Steam Engine Locomotive and using Neo Editing and Presets

UNION PACIFIC BIG BOY 4014.  Largest Steam Locomotive in the World.  Parked at College Station 10/8/24  I used the Affinity Photo clone tool...