Thursday, August 29, 2024

fotoboi.com


 My wife's oldest son who was already an adult when we got married, has a daughter who is four now.  I don't get to see her as much, but when I do, it's often at birthday parties and special events and I usually have my camera in tow.  So she calls me and knows me as Photoboy.  Photography is a hobby for me but hobbies cost $$$, and photography is no exception,  It would be nice to, at the minimum, recoup my equipment expense/investments which are probably around $8-10k. And there's always a "wish list" new lens or editing tool expense on the horizon.  

So I have thought about having a website in addition to this blog but the focus would be highlighting best pics, etc...Using Squarespace.com* I searched for Photoboy.com and it was for sale for $6,000.  Pass.  But fotoboi.com** was available for $55 for a three year term!  No brainer.  Plus Squarespace has a website builder with options to upgrade marketing options. 

Using a picture I took of myself, Befunky.com, Affinity Photo, and Luminar NEO, I created a logo/brand icon.  Befunky has a variety of artistic tools that "artsify" your photos that I have used quite successfully in the past.  

As hobbies go, we'll see how far I can build out the website and brand.  Then there is specializing services offered.  The quick money is baby/family photo shoots.  I also have a connection to a Real Estate agent who might like/need pictures for her homes.  For stock photos, pay per pic, there are places like Shutterstock, adobe stock, and Wirestock.  If I were selling the farm and going all in I would be doing all of them, but alas, I am not, it is a hobby.  I have to be careful to limit my entrepreneur brain and get too involved (time/energy/money) in another project that pulls me from my sweetspot, pastoring.  

*Initially I started searching using Godaddy but they are more expensive than Squarespace.  Specifically, Godaddy charges extra for website security protection whereas Squarespace includes it. So Godaddy was going to cost $80 versus $55 for the same three year term.  

**As of the date of this post I have not created nor published photoboi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

BIG BOY4014 Steam Engine Locomotive and using Neo Editing and Presets

UNION PACIFIC BIG BOY 4014.  Largest Steam Locomotive in the World.  Parked at College Station 10/8/24  I used the Affinity Photo clone tool...